Monday, May 3, 2010

The Change

This is what happens when I blog before getting ready for the day -- in the shower I have more thoughts that just have to be written down!  Anyway, that inbetween feeling is aparent in many aspects of my life, one of which is that innocuously named stage of a woman's life called "the change".  A more apt description would be "the roller coaster" as the ups and downs follow in rapid succession and you never know which way your mood may turn.  My gynecologist tells me I entered perimenopause somewhat early (what luck!) but that is no guarantee that I will get through it quicker. Darn!  The whole issue is certainly a topic of discussion among my friends, sort of like diapers and nursing when we all had young kids, although many of them have yet to enter the full experience.  

Of course not every woman has a difficult time as she ceases to menstruate regularly, but I feel for every female who endures killer hot flashes, weight gain and a plunging sex drive.  Some (I suspect male) voices may smugly ask "How bad can a hot flash really be?" (a thought, to be honest, I had myself before the fun started) but the best way I can describe it is sort of like plunging into a tub of ice cold water after 20 minutes in a hot sauna, only in reverse and you have no control over when or where it happens.  My extra pounds may actually have other origins (for example the delicious dessert I made the other day and couldn't stop eating, or the fact that the Italian ice cream parlors have opened up for business again), but it is convenient and somewhat satisfying to blame perimenopause.  Altogether, that is the one oh so positive aspect about the climacteric -- you can blame just about any bad mood or headache on.


Not that I wouldn't love to go one about this topic, but time to finally do something constructive for the day..................

No comments:

Post a Comment