Monday, April 26, 2010

Bicycle Built for Two

So Christof and I got on our tandem yesterday, and with Sam on his own bike, we rode to Weingut Schreiber, a winemaker here in Hochheim.  As it is the Rheingauer Schlemmerwochen (Rheingau = a winegrowing region along the Rhine River; Schlemmerwochen = Gourmet Weeks), they offerred a few choice dishes to go with the wine, and we ate supper there.  Sam decided on the salad with goat's cheese, Chris went with the green and white asparagus soup and I opted for the "Spundekäs" which is like a paprika flavored cream cheese and a speciality of this area.  Truth be told, we were at Schreiber's on Saturday night too, and had already tried (and enjoyed!) other items on the menu.


But on Sunday we went more for the company than for the food.  We knew that Anne (Chris's sister), her husband Ekki, their daughter Hannah, and their daughter Sarah, plus Sarah's husband Hannes and their adorable son Mattis would be there.  It was a fun evening, but as the sun went down, it cooled off quickly, and I was pretty tired due to all the garden work C and I did in the afternoon.


Back to the bike -- riding a tandem sure is a different experience.  The person in front (in our case Christof) is in total control and the rider sitting in back (me) is just meant to sit and enjoy the ride, maybe adding a little pedal-power from time to time.  Unfortunately I am somewhat of a control freak (or so my husband says), so it is not easy for me to relinquish any independence, even on a bike.  This is like the ultimate test in faith and trust in my partner, and I am happy to say that after a touchy start, we found our rhythm and cycled in sync around Hochheim and all the way home.  Looking forward to many more bike tours "zu zweit"!


OK, I admit, this is a pretty boring post -- seems like your basic "what I did on the weekend" kind of essay.  Tomorrow I hope to do better.  Now it is time for bed.    K

No comments:

Post a Comment