Saturday, April 10, 2010

A New Day, A New Blog

Last night, Chris and I watched the movie Julie & Julia about a woman in New York City in 2002 who cooks her way through Julia Child's 1961 book Mastering the Art of French Cooking, blogging all the while. Not only did I enjoy watching Meryl Streep in her element as Julia Child (although I could have skipped some of the cooking scenes, as I don't eat meat and it was waaaay too much butter for me!), I also once again felt that urge to get up and write myself. The idea Julie Powell had, to write about her experience preparing all the recipes in Julia's bestseller was genius and I can not suppose that anything I do could compare, but still that old feeling of "if she can do it, so can I" got me, so here I am this morning trying to get a new blog project off the ground. And I even have my own theme, the one I've always wanted to actually write a book about: living inbetween. This idea started out as me, an American in Germany, somewhat caught "inbetween" the two cultures, but the thoughts ripened in my mind to include so many other topics, thus giving me license to write about more or less anything. Clever, huh? And when the spirit moves me to record something that can not even be remotely linked to anything "inbetween", I think I'll write about that too, just for the heck of it.

But there has to be a structure here, otherwise I will have trouble squeezing blog time into my day. And a goal, to make it worth doing. The other goal I set for myself – to write my autobiography by the time I am 50 – does not look like it is happening, even if there still is over one and a half years until that ominous date. So here's the new deal: I will blog 5 times a week until 22. September, 2010, my 49th birthday, and see how things are going at that point. Who knows, maybe by then I'll have a start for my book, or at least a lot of practice working on it.

Oh no, there it is, the oven timer, telling me I need to get off the computer so I can go take some flowers to Frau Jung for her birthday. Sigh. Just when I am getting going, it is time to stop, but I will be back tomorrow, hopefully full of words to add to my new blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment