Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sunny Weather

Wearing my hat, sunglasses, lipstick and favorite earrings while sitting in my convertible, I certainly do not feel like a woman pushing 50. Granted the new sunglasses have progressive lenses and the cap effectively covers my greying hair, but driving along with the top down just makes me feel young. Possibly others feel the same way because I can't help noticing that the majority of convertible drivers are closer to my age than not, but no matter, as soon as the first warm sun rays brighten the landscape, convertibles appear on the road like puddles after a rain. Every other car seems to have its roof open, allowing the sunshine to fill every inch of the vehicle.

Here in Germany we don't take the sun for granted, so when it shines, we go out to meet it. Where Americans turn on the AC, Germans throw open windows and head for the patio to sit outside and enjoy the warmth. Cafés and restaurents with outdoor seating overflow with customers looking to savor a meal or just some coffee and cake in the fresh air and sunshine. Clothes are hung outiside to dry and suddenly everybody seems to be working in their gardens. Granted, the temperatures here do not always match those of my native Virginia, but we have our share of hot and humid days, and we survive them without air conditioning in our homes. Instead we cleverly adjust the shutters and
blinds to keep out the hot sun, and know that airing out the house early in the morning brings in fresh, cool air. The too warm nights can be trying, but sleeping with open windows and a fan humming do bring some relief

I like the German's take on fresh air and sunshine, and on this particular issue consider myself one of their own.
Even though I am thankful that many cars (including my convertible) have AC, and each summer finds more businesses outfitted with a cooling unit, it is wonderful to experience all the outdoor activity during the warm months of the year. Pools and parks are magnets here, as opposed to my hometown in Virginia, where we practically have the local pool to ourselves on a visit in July. Plus there is always the risk of freezing to death on summer visits to the States. Heaven forbid I forget my sweaters for when we go to a restaurant or the movies, or even my parents' house. If Americans would turn down their thermostats just a little, they would not only save energy, but also not be so shocked when going outside. It is the difference in temperature that kills you, or at least gives you one heck of a cold.

Darn, I ragged so long on this subject that I missed the last sweet hours of sunshine. Macht nichts, they are calling for another beautiful day tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment